Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tow-Mater

My car got towed. It got towed on the day of my college graduation. I came out in my cap and gown, beaming from ear to ear and I think to myself, "Hmm. . .that's funny. I thought this is where I parked my car." I spent a few minutes thinking about what may have happened to my car other than the obvious. Did some thug steal it? Maybe I was being Punked? Perhaps a small flock of birds carried it away to make a more durable nest? Nope, nope, and nope. After giving a call to the towing company I came to find out that it would cost $450.00 to get my car out of the lot. Squeeze me? Uh. . . let me break it down.

cap & gown + diploma = the end of 4 years of midterms and finals
the end of 4 years of midterms and finals = time to party
time to party = $$
car being towed = no money, no party, no fun.
I was not a happy camper.
Upon leaving the graduation ceremony, the University of Washington decided to give us a very generous gift. . .a purple nalgene bottle. Yes folks, this is what you have to look forward to after spending thousands and thousands of dollars! Well, as it turns out, the nalgene came in handy because once I heard about how much it was going to cost to get my car out of prison, I threw my nalgene bottle at an innocent automobile, hitting its windshield. Unfortunately there was someone sitting in the car, but he took pity on me, (and there was no damage to his car. . .whew!) I was able to get a ride to the impound lot and I thought that maybe, just maybe, that this man would see me in cap and gown and say, "College graduate? You know what. . .congratulations! Forget the impound fee. Go out into the world and spread your wings." No such luck. He was a nice man though, although his suspenders looked like they were cutting off the circulation in his rather large stomach. It was distracting to say the least. Then I thought, if I was lucky, his suspenders would somehow block the circulation of blood to the rest of his body and he'd faint. I could steal my keys and my car out of the lot and begin my new life as a fugitive on the run but only after a night of celebrating.
Snapping back into reality, I realized he wasn't going to give me a break and I was about to fork over my visa when my ex boyfriend's mother pulled her credit card out and said, "Happy Graduation." Yes. . .she posted bail for my poor Honda. I tried to pay her back later and she wouldn't accept it, so to Kathy I say thank you for turning what could've been a very bad day into a good one.

No comments: