Sunday, June 14, 2009

Family Fun




The last week and a half I have been reminded of how lucky I am to be surrounded by such good friends and family. I went home May 17th for what was truly a “family reunion.” I am the youngest of four in my family and it is on rare occasion that I am fortunate enough to see my siblings. It is an even rarer occasion that we are all in the same place at the same time. But this week, we all came to my parent’s home in Marysville, Washington to help our mom and dad celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary. I haven’t seen my oldest brother and his family for about four years, my other brother for three years, and my sister for about 3 or 4 years. My sister Tara is currently deployed in Iraq but was able to take leave for a couple weeks which is nice since it wouldn’t have felt complete without her. My oldest brother David lives in Colorado with his wife and three children. My other brother Peter lives in Tampa with his fiancĂ© who is pregnant with my new niece or nephew! My Aunt and Uncle also flew in from San Diego for the occasion, so for the Andes family. . .it was an event!

Unlike the blizzard I encountered when I came home in December, the weather was amazing! Sunny and warm for pretty much the entire duration of my visit which, I must say, made the reunion that much more enjoyable. Since living in Grenada, I truly have a new appreciation for Seattle and the wide diversity of people that live there. I took my family to Seattle’s annual Folklife Festival which is a huge event characterized by tons of live music, greasy food, street performers, vendors, and people out and about unafraid to be who they are. My family hated it because of the massive crowds of “strange and freaky” people, but I loved it. To me, it was a symbol of all the things I have missed about Seattle; diversity and freedom to be who you are.

A couple weeks before I left to visit home I had turned in my letter to the Peace Corps requesting a one year extension of my service, however, I have withdrawn that request. I have had a lot of great memories and experiences living in Grenada but I am beginning to the feel that all too familiar itch of needing a change of pace. I realize my Peace Corps service has been so wonderful partly because of the other volunteers with whom I have shared this experience and without them here, I know it would be difficult and even more lonesome than it is already. Being back in Seattle around my family also reminded me of just how much I miss them. Grenada will always hold a special place in my heart, but I am ready to begin the next chapter of my life, whatever that may be. Now I am looking at just two and half more months on this beautiful island rather than another year and four months so in the meantime I plan to enjoy every last moment.

No comments: